Yoast plugin is always so stable, so we were surprised when a simple update broke the site and put it in “Maintenance Mode“.

We used a back up and got back to work on the site. We thought we would try to update the Yoast plugin on this recovered site. Again updating the plugin again and the site broke again.

Well we were able fix the site by deleting the “.maintenance” file in the root directory.

The following link was a good start to helping us.


We were now able to access the site. We decided to try to update the Yoast plugin again, and it worked. The site was running fine after everything was done.

Let us know if this helps you….