Site Not Ranked in Google, But No. 1 in Bing

After finishing a new WordPress site we watched Google to see where the site was going to rank, but didn’t get the results we were looking for. We had the Yoast SEO plug-in installed and followed their recommendations in setting it up. The site was showing up on page 4 yet Google highlighted several matching words. More than the listing ranked higher.

We were confused as to why the other sites were ranking higher considering our site had more relevant links. If we add “va” for Virginia to our search the site was number 1 in Google.

The following articles were good starting points

https://moz.com/community/q/can-t-rank-well-on-google-but-on-page-1-for-bing-and-yahoo

https://moz.com/community/q/not-indexed-in-google-indexed-in-bing

The site was a Property in our Google Webmastertools / Search Console, and the Sitemap was in there. We saw a suggestion from someone else who said to add the sitemap in a line in your Robots.txt file. We did this through the Yoast plug-in in the back end of the site. We added the following line.

“Sitemap: https://www.thesitesdomain.com”

While in the Search Console we realized the Property was set up for HTTP. When we tried to do a URL Inspection we got an error that the property domain didn’t match. We went back and added the property again and we we saw the following image we realized we had trouble setting up the site with Google’s new domain verification and selected the old method of “URL Prefix“.

We added our domain to the “Domain” section and Google automatically updated our original property to be set up under the new “Domain” method. When we inspected the URL everything worked perfectly. Now to finish inspecting and requesting a URL crawl for the other pages.

The link below was a reminder to me that there were issues when were setting up this site in Google Search Console.

https://webmasters.stackexchange.com/questions/68435/moving-from-http-to-https-in-google-search-console

Let us know if this helped you.

Using Redirects In Joomla

When launching our new website we tried to keep the URLs of the web pages the same as they were in the past. This didn’t quite work out like planned. The old site was using an underscore for dividing words in the URL, and the new one was using dashes. This caused indexed pages to produce a 404 page not found error. We decided to use redirects until the new pages got indexed.

The process is pretty straight forward.

  • Go to Components >> Redirects
  • Click on “New”
  • Enter the “Expired URL”. Our example “managed_it_services.html”
  • Enter the “New URL”. Our example “services/it-support-services.html”
  • Save

We went back to Google Analytics. In the Search Console >> Landing Pages section. We clicked on the icon to launch the page.

This however took us to our 404 page we have set up in the site. It seemed like the redirect didn’t work. When we got back to the Redirects section in Joomla was saw the “Redirects” plugin wasn’t enabled.

Once we enabled this the redirects happened right-a-way. The best part of enabling the URL Redirects plugin is it allowed us to record the URLs that someone went to. We could then create a redirect for that URL that we may not have listed otherwise.

Let us know if this helped you.

Scheduling Google Analytics Reports

In January we set up Google Analytics to send reports to some customers automatically. This year when we were setting this up the Analytics Dashboard has changed and it took us a minute to locate what we were looking for. Here are the steps.

  • Log into your account and go to the account you need to send the reports from.
  • Go to one of the “Reports” on the left side such as “Audience” or “Acquisition“.
  • In the upper-right you will see the icon to “Export“. From here it is like it was before.

Let us know if this helped you…


Check Website To See If It Is Optimized

There are so many tools out there to evaluate your website, but somehow when it comes from Google it is the one I trust the most. Google has been writing the book on page ranking for years, so I am putting my faith in their tool to be a good one.

I ran an test on my new site as comparison to the old site and this tool made me feel really good about the work I was doing. I was so happy about it I decided to make this post. Here is a link to Google’s tool.

https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/

Let us know if this helped you…

 

Using RegEx to Get IP in Google Analytics

For privacy reasons Google doesn’t just offer up the IP addresses of your traffic, but there are ways to get it. I have set up a filter in my Analytics account to accomplish this.

Here is an article that helped me figure this out.

http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2015/12/10/basic-google-analytics-filters/#Include%20Internal%20IP

Here is the page that helped me determine the regular expression needed to include the IP address information.

http://www.regular-expressions.info/ip.html

Let us know if this helps you….