Had a customer whos machine was running slow. We ran WinDirStat to see what was eating up the space on the machine. The pagesys file was huge, but a large chunk was under VIPRE. Specifically with the PatchManagement Patches.
According to VIPRE is it okay to delete out the contents of this folder. We found this information here.
We had a situation where we were installing an HP printervia USB. This should have been the easiest set up; however, the printer wouldn’t install correctly. We followed the instructions from HP which was to disconnect the USB cable, run the installation package, and when prompted hook the USB up.
Well the install process would finish, but the printer showed up in “Devices and Printer” as a Media Device. We discovered we needed to turn off the “Smart Install“, and the printer would install as a printer. The following article helped us.
We have received a couple of emails over the past couple of years where someone is looking for a website to be built or redesigned. They are looking for quotes. For the most part it seems like a normal-ish inquiry. They often are responsive to emails.
I sent the a quote which was more than their budget and they were okay with it, but then they started to ask about Bank information. What the bank was that was going to process her credit card. Not information I need to give out at this point. Then things get really funky.
She wanted me to accept her credit card payment, but needed me to pay her designer almost half and keep the balance for the deposit we require with a $50 tip. That isn’t how things work. I told the we can’t do that, and decided to warn others before you waste your time. If you get an email from “MellisaJavon23@gmail.com” don’t even reply.
We had an issue with a user who was getting emails from a person, but couldn’t find them unless they searched. The emails were not going the junk or deleted. It turned out there were “sweep rules” set up to automatically move the emails to the “RSS Feeds” folder.
Not sure if the users account had been compromised, so our first suggestion is to change their password. This was fixed in Office365 webmail. Log into the users account. Click on the gear icon in the upper right. Go down to “Your App Setting” and then “Mail”. On the left side you will see “Inbox and sweep rules”.
Had a customer that when he tried to use Skype the webcam was showing his video feed sideways. We looked the web for a solution and a lot of people had the issue and said to uninstall and use a earlier version.
We were able to resolve issue by using the installed client version of Skype versus the browser version.
Had a user who started to get this message. “Your message couldn’t be delivered because you weren’t recognized as a valid sender”. Logged into their Office 365 Admin account and went to Protection >> Action Center. Saw the user there and clicked “unblock” them. It took a minute, and came back with the user still in the list. I tried to send an email at the user and got the same error. In the Admin panel >> Action Center the user was still listed. I clicked “unblock” again and this time the user wasn’t listed. I tried to send another email, and got the same error again. I see a alert on the Action Center page to go to the new “Restricted Users page“. This page didn’t show the user being blocked.
I looked at the error in the Non-Deliverable Report in the returned email. The error in the message is “550 5.1.8 Access denied, bad outbound sender“.
This page was a help to let me know it could take a few hours for the email to resume.
We often switch between using WAMP and XAMPP because sometimes one works better than the other and WAMP has an older version of PHP. Today after a Windows update our XAMPP won’t start.
We removed WAMP from the Startup and looked to end all “Applications” and “Processes” running; however this didn’t solve the issue. Instead under the “Services” tab we saw “wampapache64” process was running. Simply right-clicking on this service and trying to stop it will not work. You will need to run the “services” under an Administrator account.
Search for “services“. Then right-click on the services and choose “run as administrator“. Scroll down to “wampapache64” and stop the service. We set the service to start manually.
Had a customer with an issue of Outlook “Not Responding“, and a dialog box would popup saying: Microsoft Outlook Contacting: \\googleads.g.doubleclick.net\pagead\viewthroughconversation\877065211”.
Running Outlook in safe mode would stop this from happening. Go to run and type in “outlook /safe” and hit enter.
The following article lead us to possible Malware. There were no obvious browser add-ins or extensions that could be causing this. We found the following article which prompted us to install and run RougeKiller.
RougeKiller found 3 items that we didn’t really see as a threat. One was just a shortcut, but one was a registry entry. We recreated the short and let RougeKiller Quarantine the three items. We restarted the machine and the issue didn’t popup again. We uninstalled RougeKiller and restarted the machine and Outlook was working properly.