Got a call from a user who couldn’t read the files off of her SD Card from her Cannon Powershot 190. We connected to her machine and this is what the files looked like in the card reader.
We found articles on the web declaring it is a virus, bad encryption, or just corrupt. We put the card back in the camera and used the camera to format the card again. This fixed the issue and the card could be used again.
Got a call from a user that couldn’t open a simple .JPG. They got the error “Windows Photo Viewer can’t display this picture because there might not be enough memory available on your computer”, but the machine has ton of space. The following article offers a resolution of adding the color profile.
We needed to zip a some files and password protect them. The built-in Zip feature in Windows doesn’t allow us to do, but 7ZIP does. Here is what we needed to do.
Right-click on the file, go to 7Zip, and select “Add to archive“.
Switch the type to zip
Enter a password twice. If you don’t see two password boxes uncheck the “show password”.
Use the AES encryption.
This worked great; however, the client didn’t have 7ZIP installed and didn’t want to install it. Without 7Zip on their side this process didn’t work. We had to password protect the individual files. Here is what you need to do to unzip them. You will get prompted for the password.
I looked on the server and in the Vipre console I couldn’t push updates or definitions. We restarted the users machine to see if Vipre still shows it needs to be updated. We opened Outlook and didn’t get another warning. We saw the Vipre Add-in start up. We opened the Vipre agent and it asked to be updated. We pushed the button to update, but nothing happened.
In the console we “Forced Updates” instead of “Checking for updates” and this worked. We haven’t seen the warning come back yet.
We got a call from a customer who had sent themselves an email as a test and the profile picture was someone else’s photo. This would happen as soon as the user typed in there email address and Outlook recognized it the photo of the other person would show up. We changed his profile picture in Outlook to be a white blank, but we still had the issue.
The problem was in the person’s contacts. They had a person in their contacts who picture was showing as the unwanted profile picture. We discovered the user had somehow had our customer’s email address not as the email address, but as the second email address. So when our user went to type in their email address it was associated with the person in their contacts.
We have seen this issue pop up a lot this week. Firefox is showing up as several installed programs in “Programs and Features“. We used an .MSI package from FrontMotion so the original file could be distributed via Active Directory.
You would think a simple solution would be to re-install or go back a version, but it isn’t. We haven’t found an great fix but a good work around.
Research lead us to installing version 59. This version had shown no issues with Windows 10. After installing this on a dozen machines users didn’t see any more issues. Here is a link for older versions of Firefox.
We learned it is better to use the “Custom” install over the “Standard” install simply because this allowed us to uncheck the “Maintenance service“. After we got version 59 installed we opened Firefox and it crashes with the following message.
The program would crash and this dialog box would go away. We had to try to open Firefox a couple more times until we got the dialog box to “Refresh” Firefox. Once this was done Firefox was running normally.
We set up Firefox to not install updates. Click on the “hamburger” menu in the upper right. Select “Options” and go to the General tab. Uncheck “Use a background service to install updates“.
We also discovered using “about:config ” in a new tab. This gave us a page warning us about the risk. We clicked okay on the warning and then we could just by clicking on the service turn it on and off.
We got a call where someone’s all important Snipping Tool wasn’t working. When I connected to them to take a look it was easy to see what they saw. When you clicked on the shortcut this was all you would get.
This was an easy fix by making a new shortcut to the executable. It was C:\Windows\system32\snippingtool.exe.
When launching our new website we tried to keep the URLs of the web pages the same as they were in the past. This didn’t quite work out like planned. The old site was using an underscore for dividing words in the URL, and the new one was using dashes. This caused indexed pages to produce a 404 page not found error. We decided to use redirects until the new pages got indexed.
The process is pretty straight forward.
Go to Components >> Redirects
Click on “New”
Enter the “Expired URL”. Our example “managed_it_services.html”
Enter the “New URL”. Our example “services/it-support-services.html”
We went back to Google Analytics. In the Search Console >> Landing Pages section. We clicked on the icon to launch the page.
This however took us to our 404 page we have set up in the site. It seemed like the redirect didn’t work. When we got back to the Redirects section in Joomla was saw the “Redirects” plugin wasn’t enabled.
Once we enabled this the redirects happened right-a-way. The best part of enabling the URL Redirects plugin is it allowed us to record the URLs that someone went to. We could then create a redirect for that URL that we may not have listed otherwise.
We got a call from a user that just got their laptop upgraded to Windows 10 using Office 2013. When the user tried to create their signature Outlook would freeze. Found a couple of links with suggestions, but this one did the trick.
The trick was to Settings >> Search for Apps. Click on “Apps and Features”, and uninstall “Microsoft Office Desktop Apps” and uninstall it. It did require a reboot, but everything was working after that.